Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Two New Cultures

By: Margorie Loyola
 Two New Cultures

This story is about my mother. Her name is Rosa Valverde. She was born in 1967 Callao-Peru, she is 43 years old. She immigrated to the United States on March 5, 2010. Rosa speaks only Spanish. My mom has more family in Peru.

Her favorite Peruvian food is arroz con pollo/rice and chicken. Rosa has two brothers, their names are Juan Carlos and Juan Pablo and she has one sister her name is Anduanet. She likes the United States but she misses her country. My mom like many music likes: salsa, meringue, festejo and creoles music.

Rosa says, " the climate is varied in Peru because each season was marked by weather. It is summer you will see the sun all the time, despite being in the spring or summer wind which always whips. However in San Francisco despite it being the spring or summer the witch always whips."
When I ask my mom about what she misses the most about her country? She says, " her mom, brothers, sister and nieces."


Rosa has so much experience with Peruvian culture- she says, " Peruvian culture is very diverse, there are many traditions, there are different customs in each region. There is diversity of wonders that can be known, landscapes that can be visited as in the case of Machu Picchu is one of the wonders the world and is located in Cusco. Can visit any province and it will always find a beautiful landscape filled with vegetation, filled with lots of color and people are very affectionate and friendly."
One day asked my mom: what do you think about English language? Do you think is easy or hard to learn English? She say, " for me is a little difficult because it is something new and something that in Peru teach you in school but only as a couple pass the matter, but here you've got to learn to pronounce, to write well and that's a bit complicated for me."

When I talk with my mom I say, " You want to return to your country? What would be the reason if you say me yes?" Rosa say, " Yes, I want return to my country and the reason would be to visit my family."                   Mom for you what is the difference between your country and the United States? She says," As I said the weather is one of the differences, the meals here are great variety of food, the language too." What food do you dislike in this country? She says, " American Food because it has lots of vegetables and I don’t like vegetables."

Mom what do you like about this country? She says, " I like the order that exits everywhere; people are very disciplined and very respectful of rights and duties it owes to others."
Do you think that in this country the people have opportunities? She says, " I think it did because here you can study what you want and is almost free and if you go to universities, the government will help. But in my country is very difficult to get a profession as the best universities are the most expensive and not within the reach of all people."
Mom what you do not like about United States? She says, “as already said the climate because it is very varied and it is too cold.”
Which was the reason you came to the United States? She says, " because my husband lives there and also for my daughter to have opportunities to study and get a profession to in it."



1 comment: